News & Announcements
Call for Nomination of Members of the Committees of the Council on Higher Education (CHE)
Click here to access teh full document: Call for nominations of members of the HRRC, ICTCoC and HEQC.pdf
Celebrating Dr Louie Swanepoel
April 14th, 2023 marks the beginning of an exciting chapter, a well-deserved retirement and the celebration of a 42-year-long career for Dr Louie…
CHE Statement: Clarification of the accreditation status of “Immanuel University/Institute of Theology”
CHE Statement: Clarification of the accreditation status of “Immanuel University/Institute of Theology” - Click here to access and download: CHE…
Quarterly Report to the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET): 1 October - 31 December 2013
The Third Quarterly Report of the CHE for 2013/2014 to the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) covering the period 1 October - 31 December 2013.
The CHE operates as a national entity under Schedule 3A of the Public Finance Management Act (PFMA) 1 of 1999, as amended. It adheres to principles of good governance, financial and performance management and is held accountable for these to the Parliament of the Republic of South Africa. The CHE was established as a juristic person in terms of section 4 of the Higher Education Act (101 of 1997). In summary, the main areas of work of the CHE are:
- To provide advice to the Minister of Higher Education and Training on all higher education matters at his request and proactively.
- To monitor the state of the higher education system in relation to the goals of national policies and international trends.
- To contribute to the development of higher education through intellectual engagement with key issues through research, publications and conferences and in partnership with relevant stakeholders.
- To develop and implement a system of quality assurance for all higher education institutions, including private providers of higher education, which focuses on programme accreditation, institutional audits, national reviews, and capacity development and quality promotion.
- To develop and manage the Higher Education Qualifications SutrFramework (HEQSF) and to develop and set standards, including naming conventions for all higher education qualifications.